How is this possible?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How is this possible?

Hybrid View

How is this possible?

I've done test after test, and established that my pII-400 runs at the same temp at 400, 412, and 448...(35-38).. no matter what I'm doing. How is this possible?

Jes

That's hardly the same temp... almost 11 degrees Farenheit...

When you ask 'how is this possible?'...

What were you expecting,and why?

You are showing an 8% increase in temperature for an 11% increase in frequency.. Does not sound way out of line..
    I have not heard that the relationship between frequency and temp is linear in a CPU..
    I would guess that it is not, based on your results..

I don't know if we have any physicists hanging out around here, but they could probably tell you more about how it works.

I know many, many people who OC'd the 300A to 450, say they did it with the stock, Intel heatsink/fan..So I do not think heat control was an issue in making this happen..

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 08-03-99).]

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 08-03-99).]
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

When I said 35-38, that was a range that all of the setting seem to stay between. I.e. it'll be 37 @ 412 and 37 @ 448, and maybe 10 min later they would both be 36. What i'm trying to say that it seems with this chip that changing frequency is not causing the change in temperature.

Maybe it should be noted that I haven't had to change the voltage at all from 400 to 448.

As a matter a fact, HWDOCTOR tells me that right now my chip is at 30.5 C! It's been on for 45 min! Stock heatsink/fan, desktop fan blowing into open case. Of course, it's only 8:15 AM and its a little chilly here

Jes

[This message has been edited by Jesse Thompson (edited 08-03-99).]

Going up to 448 is only a 12% increase in performance. My PIII550 shows no real increase with the stock stuff at 112fsb either. However, I was on at 682 for a while and it got a little hotter...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Thread Information