How do you "tamper" with a PII to remove OC protection.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do you "tamper" with a PII to remove OC protection.

How do you "tamper" with a PII to remove OC protection.

I have got a P2 400 . Has anyone been able to remove Intels protection, If so can anyone explain what it involves or point me to where i can find out. My motherboard wont go higher than 100mhz so hopefully this might be an option.

Sterling_Aug Guest
    It sounds like you are stuck at 100 MHz FSB.

Get an ABIT BX-6 rev 2 motherboard.

there is no "overclock" protection an PII's. The chip is multiplier locked. (you cant change the multiplier). You can change the front bus speed (FBS). I do not remember what the multiplier on the PII 400 is but try moving up the FBS.

PII-400 = (4.0)*(100)

I have mine running rock stable at 448 (4*112) on bx6-2. In this situation, it is more important that your other components are able to run at the 112 fsb. You need to have good memory and hard disk to run stable at higher than 100 mhz fsb.

Jes

Sterling_Aug Guest
    I have my PII-450 running 558 MHz @ 2.2 volts with a peltier cooler mounted under an Alpha heatsink and dual 18 cfm fans on the end of the heatsink. I also have 2 108 cfm fans in my case for intake and exhaust.

With all the cash for fans and Alpha..Dont you wish you got a 450p3?
    SalaTar Admin. of
    www.mrcs.net
    Home of The Free Linux Box

Sterling_Aug Guest
    The PIII's were not cost effective yet when I got my PII-450. My PII-450 is running as fast as most of the PIII-450's I have seen posted, so what's the difference?

The Alpha's and fans will never go to waste, only the CPU's will change to protect the innocent.

Yeah! Sterling, you do have a kind of excessive cooling system, but i like it. Do you have a temperature sensor on your cpu? if so what temperature does it usually give you? do you get much below 0'c ? Anyway this topic was: who knows how to unlock the multiplier on a post august Intel? I Know its possible but searched everywhere finding no real instructions.

Sterling_Aug Guest
    nilssong: I am running the RC5 client software 24/7 which uses 100% CPU load at all times. Even with the peltier running the CPU rarely gets below 40C. With the RC5 client turned off and Rain running, the peltier will get the CPU down to 15C while Win98 just sits idle.

To remove the multiplier lock, just get yerself 3 things: One million monkeys, one million CPU's, and one million hammers. Now just go around and test each "processed" CPU and one of them will be unlocked! I hope this helps you!
    David Peters
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

Thread Information