TNT2 Advice?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 Advice?

Hybrid View

TNT2 Advice?

I was wondering if anyone could share their experience putting tnt2 cards on an overclocked agp bus. I have a PIII 450 that I want to run on a 133 mhz bus. That puts the agp @ 88 mhz. (2/3*133) What card will tolerate this speed best? THX for any help

It really depends on the mobo and the card. Try o/c to 558 Mhz. There have be reports that TNT2 were successfully being used and without problems.

Thanx fer the reply josh. I shoulda mentioned this thing is gonna be based on bx6 r2. The cpu posts @ 600 and the pci bus should be no prob using the 1/4 multiplier, but you only get 1:1 or 2:3 choices for the agp. What i really need to know is about specific brands of tnt2 cards people have had luck with at these speeds, cuz at $200+ you'd hate to end up with a card that'll only run @ 66mhz
    Thanks again

It shouldn't really matter which flavor of tnt you get, but I'd recommend getting the 'Ultra' variant of whichever card. I was running a p2-300 on a 133Mhx mobo w/proc clocking 600 and TNT2 Ultra plugging along faster than ever. I have the CL one, anyway. Good luck.

------------------
    And the beat goes on...
    And the beat goes on...

AGP 2X is 66MHZ 4x is 132...

TNT2 stadard and ultra are rated for
    AGP 4X... Not sure all OEM's support this, though Diamond does..

So as long as AGP 4X is supported you are O.K. running 1/1 as long as FSB is not over 132... Don't think there are many CPU's supporting 132 theses days..
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Thx, all. I had to read your post a coupla times before it sank in. Sure the card has the cohones to handle the higher bus rates in a 4X situation, but, to the best of my knowledge, all these 4x cards are only 2x until you put it on a motherboard tha supports agp 4X. The way I understand it, we're all operating in an agp 2X world until intel releases the next bigger better latest greatest 4X agp spec. If I'm wrong about this someone please set me straight. Anyways , just got a diamond 770 ultra- price was right and I heard good things about it. hardocp reveiw was the final straw that sold me

------------------

[This message has been edited by jdebris (edited 07-30-99).]

Your video card don't know what your MOBO is..
    If it is engineered to run at AGP 4x it should handle 132 MHZ.. Of course anything lower will be O.K..

If you have a card that supports 4x and your FSB is 100, then an AGP setting of 1/1 should work.. whereas, if you set it at 2/3, which is standard you are limiting your AGP to 66, which
    is standard AGP 2x.. I do not know what else is involved in the AGP process off of the video card, so something else on your MOBO might have a problem with AGP>66... My ABIT BH6 works fine at 75..
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Yeah i have a CL tnt2 ultra that runs fine but hot at anything i clock my p3 450 to. I say always try anything as long as you can take it back (to the store that is). My rule of thumb is always buy things like graphics cards from mainstream high street shops where the staff know next to nothing. My favourite here in the UK is Tempo. I have swapped 2 voodoo 3000's and one TNT2 there. You have to pick the most foolish employee and then blag a good story.

By the way did any of you send of for the Unreal Tournament cd from the offer with the voodoo 3000?(it might only be a uk thing?) Well i did and to get it you had to send off your barcode from the box and receipt from purchase. So what do you think i thought when my voodoo3 broke 3 weeks later. Man that required some pure genius to swap.

Some of you might be thinking why not just send it back to 3dfx. Called them up (in holland) and quoted me 6 week turnaround due to busy support.

Yeah, I've gotta agree with with you on the mega-chain purchases. The extra coin you pay up front is more than made up for when you are able to return a defective item 6 weeks after you bought it with only a scrap of the reciept- no questions asked. I gotten away with 2 monitors and a hdd long after these items should have been covered by warranty. t.g.f compUSA.
    I picked up a viper770 and am gonna try it out wed or thurs when i get a chance. kills me though- i fried the 600mhz 450 (long story-email me -- short story-i am stupid) replacement only posts 580
    -by the way thanx for the response

[This message has been edited by jdebris (edited 08-02-99).]

[This message has been edited by jdebris (edited 08-02-99).]

Thread Information