Power Supply Blues
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power Supply Blues

Power Supply Blues

Hello all, I have a dilemma that could easily be fixed if I throw money at it but, I would prefer not to...

I have a system that has only been assembled in May of this year.

I think my problem is that the 5 volt stand by line (5Vsb) coming out of the power supply is only in the range of 4.44v to 4.66v.

This causes the power button on the case to just generally not work. Of course I've been fiddling with it and have gotten it started but my fiddling (clearing CMOS, unplugging for awhile, checking connections, etc) cannot be replicated each time to get the thing started. I can restart fine. When shutting down and immediatly turning on I get nothing.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that I might try to fix the computer.

Please?

Notes:
    1. I purchased a generic ATX case mailorder so I can't just go back to the company to easily.

2. I don't have an ATX powersupply laying around to try out.

3. This topic was originally posted in SUPPORT but received no responses.

Have you tried measuring the +5 stand-by voltage when the power connector is out of the motherboard? I know that it will not read any of the other voltages but if the syand-by voltage is the one that turns on your system then you should be able to get a reading when it is disconnected from the motherboard. If the reading is higher (more to spec) when it is disconnected then it could be a motherboard loading problem (or purhaps also a power supply problem because it can not handle the load). I regret that I am at work now and I can not make similar measurements on my system to assist you. I will try to check back on this thread later.
    Best of luck to you!

Karl

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

I will try measuring the 5v standby directly off the power supply and post my result tomorrow.

you could probably adjust the 5V Vout inside the power supply...take it apart it might save u some bucks Vs buyin a new supply...

I did pop to cover off the power supply to see\smell if anything was wrong. Nothing too apparent.

I do recall one of those adjustable resistors, if it was a resistor. There was not a row of them, just one. I'll ask about zener diodes once I've exhausted the other possibilities.

Update:

I checked the 5Vsb, it measured 4.5 - 4.6v.

I also shorted the signal wire to ground, the power supply turned on fine. I did not check the 12v or 3.3v connections.

I called a few local computer shops to price some power supplies. I only called 3 but it's interesting to note that the range of prices were $39 - $59, not including a case.

If I get another power supply from somewhere and plug it in, how would I know the motherboard is at fault?

You can get a real nice ATX case with PS for less than $60. I just got an AOpen HX45 mid-tower with 250W for $54.00 + shipping.

Check pricewatch.com

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

swank i agree with Dimarini bout the p.s. thing ****..why pay 60 for the p.s. when u can get a new atx mid for that...if your gonna replace the p.s. just buy a new case...
    supplies are a rip-off alone...

Yeah, but I just spend $35 on a case two months ago. I guess I shoulda at least spent $55 so I wouldn't have this problem.......

Yes, power supplies alone cost as much as a case with power supply when you go non-internet. The other problem, for those of use that have no loyalty to 'local computer stores', is that they are selling generic cases with power supplies for double what you can get them on the internet. Although, my situation is a perfect example of why you should buy local. In this case, I wish I had purchased local so I could easily return it. But, how many times have you heard of power supplies going bad?

I guess I will borrow a power supply of a friend, hopefully this evening.

(If this problem is fixed with a new power supply, pricewatch has a good selection for approx $25 shipped.)

[This message has been edited by swank (edited 07-28-99).]

Thread Information