Case cooling
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Case cooling

Hybrid View

Case cooling

okay, probably this issue has been raised many times but i am stuck...

I currently have an intake fan (~30cfm), a cheap fan blowing on the CPU and the power supply fan configured to blow air out.

But the problem is that during hot days (30ish celcius), the temperature of my CPU sky rockets (near 50C). The case temperature is about 39C. The temperature of the CPU is a rough estimate however... i added about 10C to the 39C i measured from a temperature probe i attached to the heatsink. Oh yeah, i have a FAB28.

The question is now how do i get my case temperature cooler... any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

one more thing i forgot to mention.. i only hit that temperature if i am playing some CPU intensive game. Normally, the temperature would be about 6C cooler, i.e. ~44C.

I don't know the specifics of your situation but here are some suggestions I hope may help. First of all what is the ambient temperature, if the temp of the room is too hot you can't expect the case to be cooler. Placement of the case--is it under direct sunlight, pressed up against a wall, or in an enclosed area like you see in many computer desks? If so, move it, let it breathe.

You may want to invest in a quality CPU heat sink/fan and use thermal grease. Some vid cards generate a lot of heat as well. I had a V550 the was very hot but a small fan mounted on the hs made all the difference. There are many 3rd party solutions that you could try. Do you have SCSI or a HD w/very high rotational speed? These get hot as well and there are many HD coolers.

As for the case there are a few things you can do. Try it with the case off. I personally don't like doing this but it works for many people. If you have a lot of vents you may try covering these. Often times these are made by manufacturers for aesthetic reasons and actually inhibit good airflow. Try it and if it doesn't work uncover them.

Make sure that the case fan is getting enough air. You may want to take a dremmel tool and make the intake holes larger (remove everything before drilling anything). If you really feel like drilling you could put case fans all over the place. One last thing is to remember to expel the hot air. If there is any room for a fan behind the processor, put one there blowing air out. Slot coolers do a great job removing heat as well.

Good luck.

well so far the fan that got the most results for me was a small blower put in the back of the case near the cpu sucking the hot air form the cpu and taking it directly out, I tried intake fans and got little results, I am using a peltier and it makes alot of heat and with that fan I dropped the case temp from 110 degrees f to 96, the 110 was just before the powersupply got too hot and shut down, you need exhaust fans because no matter how many intake fans you put in your powersupply fan can only pull so much air out.

firstly, thanks for your quick replies.

Okay, here are some more additional details. 1. I do not have any SCSIs but have 2 quantum fireballs with a rotational speed of 5400rpms.
    2. yes, there are placed near a wall but due to space limitation, i really have no where else to place them.
    3. I do not want to take off my case as my surrounding area is pretty dusty (due to constructions) and thus not advisable. But sometimes i take off the front cover of my casing to allow better ventalation (which works).
    4. I already have done the bigger hole drilling but perhaps i might need to make them bigger.
    5. Yes, i am using thermal grease and previously mentioned, i am using a Globalwin FAB28.
    6. For video cards, i have a TNT and Voodoo2 card, all without any additional cooling.

I was planning to buy make a slot fan to blow hot air out near the video cards and maybe another one near the harddisks. After gaming for a bit, i can feel (when i open the front casing) that the HDs are generating quite alot of heat.

So, any further suggestions?

I'm curious, what type of processor do you have? I had a PPGA Celeron400 that reached those kinds of temps non overclocked. When I talked to Intel they told me it was within spec and that I voided my warranty by placing an aftermarket hsf. Anyway I ended up switching the mobo from PPGA to slot 1 w/ a converter to give me more surface area to play with cooling. Seems okay so far, case temp is around 35C which is still a little hot for my tastes but it went 6 straight hours of Half Life at a LAN party w/o any problems. Hopefully you won't have to go to that extreme.

Anyway, definitely go for the slot cooler I'm sure it will lower case temp. Next, cool that TNT since it runs all the time an those cards give off a lot of heat. (Some kids ran a little project of cooking vegetables on their TNT). I don't know what your case room is so you might want to check out Tennmax or 3dfxcool to see if they have one that won't make you give up a PCI slot. The Tennmax lasagne is a good example.

It may sound unreasonable but you might look for another case. I spent a lot of time searching for the perfect case and finally settled on one that allowed me to put two front case fans and a 60mm fan right behind the processor. You can find quality generic cases for about the same price as specialized coolers.

There is something else called the card cooler (unfortunately I don't have the url). Essentially it's two case fans mounted so that they blow directly on your ISA/PCI cards. If you were to drill holes on the side of the case I bet this would bring cooler air in although this is just theory.

The holes on the front bezel are one thing but what about the holes on the case itself, the metal? You may want to cut some of this out also. You may also replace that case fan, at 30cfm I'm assumming an 8cm fan, with a 9cm fan for more volume. You can find these at Radio Shack. One other thing you might try is to tie your cables. I have all of my power cables tied or moved over to the side, my HD IDE cable is taped down so air from the fan makes it to the processor. Do whatever you can within reason to restrict resistance. It made about a 2C difference in my system.

That's all I can think of. If room temperature is too hot, however, nothing I mentioned will make any difference. I wrote a book again, sorry.

okay, i have a slot 1 celery 300a running at 464Mhz @ 2.2v.

As for the video card, i was tempted to rip out the heatsink which comes with the card, but i thought screw it... I was thinking of putting the slot fan directly below the TNT to suck the hot air being generated from the card out.

Also, i have seen card coolers but one thing i forgot to mention, i am living in a country where it is impossible to buy any equipment like that locally. So i have been buying stuff over the web and the exchange rate is killing me. So in way i have been trying to find what stuff which is available locally and make do with it.

On the matter of cables, they have been tied down already. I actually did drill the casing itself to allow better airflow; both in the front and back. Perhaps i need to make the holes in the plastic front cover bigger as well.

Last thing to note, yes, many times my CPU overheated was due to the fact that the ambient temperature was probably around 35C.

Thread Information