Most Un-Overclockable System Ever?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Most Un-Overclockable System Ever?

Most Un-Overclockable System Ever?

Maybe you guys will have a few tips for me. I have a AMD K6-2 300 and 2 32 MB sticks of "PC100" memory running on a VA-503+. The first time I tried to overclock it, put it up to 350 but it hung right before windows started. Subsequent reboots hung even earlier in the boot process. I remember increasing the voltage but that didn't seem to help.

A while ago I found out the setting for a 112MHZ bus, and I tried that. It booted fine at 333, but it gave a memory error . By the way, it won't even POST at 350 now. Does anyone know where I could find other bus settings for speeds besides 66, 75, 83, and 100? I figure I could set the bus a bit lower and increase the clock multiplier just to squeeze a bit more life out of this thing. Thanks!

------------------
    David Peters
    "If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

David Peters

Man, don't you just love it when you answer your own questions a minute after you post them somewhere? If anybody is interested, here's the page: http://www.fica.com/english/techsupp.../va503+jmp.htm .
    David Peters

Ok, I got this thing to boot and go into windows at 95 x 3.5 for 333 with 2.3v (from 2.2v). Of course, it hung a minute later. So it's back to 300 for me. Do you honestly thing getting a good heatsink fan combo would keep this thing stable at 333 or 350? Right now it has a crappy little heatsink and a little spinny thing that could be called a fan. The case is always cool as I can get about 130 CFM of air going into it, a third of it blowing right on the processor (AT mobo, remember). So, do you think a small investement into a cooling system would help me squeeze some more life out of this beast? Thanks.
    David Peters

Hello David,I think you just got a lemon chip or its a 66mhz chip,does it say AFR 66? if not its a 100mhz chip.Well I'm on the exact same sys..503+ MB 64mb PC100 memory, K6-2 300 & O/C to 350 3.5 X 100 @2.2 vdc.It will run at 400 @2.3vdc without any problems,but I gave it to my kids and want it to last them.I'll tell you this, I've got a HUGH heatsink/fan,case fan,slot fan,& PS fan going and live in a cool house,maybe thats the trick..keep it cooool, good luck!

What brand of Heatsink / Fan are you using? I checked out Tennmax's offering and it didn't look very much larger than my current puny combo. Also, I'm pretty sure it's a 100MHz chip because it said AFR300 on it.
    David Peters

For K6-2's and K6-III's, you can't beat a GlobalWin CPM25603-32 (used to be -12) and the Alpha PFH6035.

The GlobalWin will handle any of the K6-2's under almost any conditions and the K6-III's up to 450MHz if you don't overclock. If you are going to try to overclock a K6-III, I'd definitely recommend the Alpha... King of Socket7 Coolers

I got mine at www.2cooltek.com . The GlobalWin's are about $16 and the Alpha's are about $30 (yeah, I know that's a lot for a heatsink/fan, but they WORK!)

Thanks for the tips, MGP. Has anyone else had any luck with other heatsink/fan combos for socket 7?
    David Peters

MGP,

He could buy a K6-2 350 for about the same price as the alpha!
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Another fan that you could try is a Peltier. I've got an Iceberg one that'll cool my chip all the way down to 21C (69F) and under.

My experience with overclocking my K6-2 300 was not that pleasant--I could get it to run at 337MHz (112X3) all the way up to 372MHz (124X3), but at either of those settings windows would not boot and or freeze at start up. But at 124MHz FSB I'd get a PCI bus error... And on top of that I still can't get my chip to work good at 300MHz, I'm starting to think that I got one of those 66MHz versions, however it ran fine in my dad's mobo @ 3X100 for a few months. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my K6-III 450.

Anyways, I too would reccommend buying a good fan before you start overclocking your chip. On a side note, why not upgrade to a K6-2 400--they only cost $74/chip?

-JGene

I've been thinking of that route, too. I could get a $20 cooler that would get me up to 333 or maybe 350. Big deal. I probably wouldn't notice the difference. However, with buying a new processor for only 3 to 4 times the cost of a cooler I'd get a guranteed speed increase that I would notice. If I do buy something, I think it'll be a new chip rather than trying to overclock this lemon of mine.
    David Peters

I was looking at Ebay and saw GIANT cpu coolers listed for 6.00, so I got one and it works great,just bought another one for my K63,very good fan combo for 6.00 + shipping.Its called the cpu cooler thats it.

Thread Information