nVidia
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: nVidia

nVidia

Post questions for nVidia here.

Question: Why have you slackers been so damn slow in getting out 3DNow drivers for the TNT? Without going into a lengthy rant I feel that NVidia has done the wrong thing by their customers, and I will probably refrain from buying NVidia in the future.

2nd Question: Why does NVidia always boast and lie? Examples: massive boast about chip speed which then had to be retracted 'cos 0.35 micron was too hot, claiming that 3dnow was in the detonator release (it clearly claims in the readme that the detonator drivers contain 3dnow optimisations. I vigorously dispute this claim, as do many others). Have you looked at your own webpage recently? Anyone would think that NVidia just invented the wheel from the way they rant about how good they are.

3rd Question: Why have you implemented SSE instructions first, even though 3DNow has been out for the best part of a year and the TNT for about 6 months? That's showing a strong bias towards Intel IMHO, don't forget that a LOT of K6-2 + TNT users have seen your actions and are very unhappy about Nvidia's lack of attention to the 3DNow side of things.

Truth be told, the TNT is a great product but it's kind of sucky not having 3dnow drivers and knowing that there are great performance gains to be had, if only NVidia would learn to follow up their products with the proper drivers in a timely manner! I'd like somebody to interview an NVidia rep and cross examine them on why they took so damn long, especially seeing the performance figures for the Voodoo 2 as well as the steep rise in sales of the K6-2. Claiming "oh we didn't think anybody bought TNT for their K6-2 systems since there were no 3dnow drivers out" doesn't hold water. Some bought it because it was a good all-round card, some (like me) bought it at the end of last year expecting 3dnow drivers to be released soon (even at that stage they had been released for the 128 and the 128ZX!!!).

Apologies for the lengthy post, questions started turning into rants. Kinda impossible to keep to the point when NVidia has utterly and completely screwed us K6-2 + TNT users.

like writing that lengthy post will change their minds about supporting intel first! what do you expect, intel is the monetary king!!who would you want to support the wealthy barons, or the loathly peasants?!
    Geoff, you whine, you whine, you whine. I like AMd, but even you can just go on, and on, and on. I think you get my point. No sense addind fuel to the fire.

You see, if people DON'T whinge about it, nvidia will sit on their arse and do nothing, just like Intel does. "Oh well we've got the P6 architecture, we'll just tack another bit on every so often, clock it higher and sell it for a ****load. Nobody's complaining therefore we're not doing anything wrong".

But equally, yes I do whinge too much. Thanks for being so crushingly blunt about things, it makes me want to read all of your recent posts and criticise the crap out of you too. I really appreciate your sense of compassion and subtlety.

your welcome. Sometimes a sour tongue gets you more than sweet lips.

so shoot me for having a bit of a rant when i'm in a bad mood.

Hopefully nVidia'll wake up after reading some of the Interview questions!

let's hope so.

will there be any updated drivers for the TNT Diamond Viper??? I was dissapointed that I could not play a 3dfx game...I got an error message saying that it couldn't find "glide" or something or other. So, is the viper going to ever support glide/3dfx or are those two seperate things? I'm new to this terminology thing.
    My soul is virtuous

Glide is 3dfx's proprietry API. You need a 3dfx card to play glide games. That said, all games worth playing these days use opengl or directx, glide-only games are generally older. if that's the case, use your pocket change to buy a voodoo 1 - they should be dirt cheap and will be fine for your older games that only have glide support.

email me if you're still confused, my address is fezza@suburbia.com.au

Thread Information