Can a Cable Modem outpace the fastest router?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Can a Cable Modem outpace the fastest router?

Can a Cable Modem outpace the fastest router?

I just switched to a cable modem from dsl and am now getting speed over 4000 kbps. As I understand it my cable/dsl router is only capable of 4500 kbps (it's a Macsense Pro) I never worried before since dsl was so slow but now I am wondering... the 4.5 I see as the speed rating on Timhiggins. Does that mean 4500 kbps and could the router actually be a bottle neck now!?! (if so, this is a great problem to have, since I used to only get 600 kbps...) Anyway, I could be way off on this, that's why I am asking. Thanks.
    Share on Google+

where are you getting 4000kbps on cable?!?!? not even T1 can do that.......
    MAC= Must Achieve Corruptness!
    Share on Google+

Yeah. I know. It's practiaclly off the charts! Although I have seen many others who are getting the same speeds with Cable. The installers from AT&T @ home just came yesterday. They told me alot of people around here get 2000 to 4000. I think mainly because dsl is the method of choice around here. I don't know anyone with cable. I hope it stays that way!

[This message has been edited by bareyb (edited 11-11-2000).]
    Share on Google+

Your router shouldn't be a bottleneck unless it's an absolute bottom-of-the-range dog. If you wanted to check, just remove the router and plug a machine into the cable modem.

Nice speeds though. I'd be jealous but there's no point since we can't even get cable down here.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.
    Share on Google+

Go for chello wireless Tuttle, it's still one way at the moment so you need to have the modem and phone line, it should be going to 2-way by the start of next year, I've gotten up to 800kbits/sec
    Share on Google+

Wow. I'd forgotten all about this place. Funny to think when I posted this thread almost nobody had a Cable Modem. Anyway just a little bump from the year 2000, for giggles. Congrats to the forum for the longevity!
    Share on Google+

Thread Information