Celeron 533A at 800Mhz. Is it stable?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Celeron 533A at 800Mhz. Is it stable?

Celeron 533A at 800Mhz. Is it stable?

I want to buy and overclock Celeron 533A (1.5V, .18 micron, 66Mhz) to 800Mhz (100*8, 1.7V). What will happen to the CPU in the long-run? It is possible to use Celeron 533A at 800Mhz without any crash on Abit BE6-II with PC100 128MB SDRAM but will it be still stable for example after 1 year or 2 years...or more? (Many users are using their Celeron 300A at 450Mhz for 1 or 2 years)

Well that depends on a lot of things.
    Most chips are designed for a lifespan of 6 to 10 years, obviously in even 2 years a Celeron 533A will be totally obsolete, so I reckon a lifespan of 2 years is reasonable.
    What voltage does the Celeron run at normally? What voltage would it need to reach 800? How hot will it be running at that speed? These are all questions that have to be answered before you can even guess what the lifespan will be.
    Fallguy

Which raises interesting questions. If you have a succesful Peltier cooler installation and do not suffer any potential drawbacks such as condensation, then the CPU will probably run cooler than a normally clocked CPU in an average OEM installation but the voltage is higher.

So what's the killer? Voltage or heat. I guess it's probably a bit of both.

It really is going to depend on the specific chip. But from I've heard a 533a@800 is almost guaranteed(of course maybe a bit of voltage tweaking and be sure to have good cooling).

The average life of most processors are rating at something like 5 or 8 years of non stop use. The strange thing is, I've never really heard of a chip just dying that was run under specs. Not that is ever really gets used much, but my families old 286 still works.

I'm currently running at 366@550 at 2.3 volts. It's been up gor just a year now and I know it's being push hard. But so what? If I cut it's life in half from 8 years to 4 years, what's the big deal? 3 more years from now it will be a novalty item anyway. And even if it did die tomorrow. What's the 60 bucks to replace the chip. To me the 60 dollars is worth the 50% faster clock I've ran it at the last year.

Anyway, I've been looking at the 566@850 and the success rate of that succeeding was something like 90%

I guess my advice would be that you take everything in steps. Don't just crank up the voltage and bus speed to 800 all in one jump.

Good Luck!

Thank you Luds and all for information. I understand the important points before overclocking. Thanks!

I've heard 1.7 is required for the o/c process; my 566 wasn't stable at 850 at the normal 1.50 voltage. Your cpu probably will be fine; if you ever notice it crashing a lot or something in a few years, worst case scenario you put it back to 533.
    my computer sucks but my car stereo's better than yours!

Thread Information