Unreal Tournament on a LAN
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Unreal Tournament on a LAN

Unreal Tournament on a LAN

As you may have guessed from the topic, i have a LAN at home, and just got Unreal Tournament. What a kick *** game!!! It's flawless on my win 98 k6-3 450 with 128 pc-66 sdram and a 32 MB Dual Head Millenium G400. I never really played doom quake, or quake 2 much, or any of those games, but i love unreal, and i'm surprised i'm pretty good at it. So maybe i'll get to the point now.

The only thing that would make it better is if we could get it to run on the LAN. We've played it online, and again it's flawless, but our computers won't recognize any multiplayer games that were started. we have TCP/IP configured along with IPX/SPX and NetBEUI, but we made TCP/IP the default protocol since that's what U.T. uses. We also have individual ip addresses assigned starting with 198, as required. But when anyone starts a multiplayer game and the others try to join, they don't show up in the LAN servers area - it's just blank. but the person who started the game sees themself as a server. Any ideas?

Similarly, this is weird. we have 4 computers on the LAN. my 2 roomies each have 1, each win 98. I have 2, 1 in win 95, the other is 98/NT (2 separate drives - i physically switch cables when i restart - i did this because that hard drive will soon have a new home in computer #3.) So my roomies are Nic and Robb. everybody can see me and nic, but nic and me(on my win 98) can't see Robb. My NT and 95 can see Robb. also my 98 can't see my 95, but my 95 can see my 98. Sorry if this is confusing. I can transfer files to/read files from computers that can't see me, and they still don't see me. How is this possible? let me see if i can clarify thi situation:

here is what each computer can see in Network Neighborhood:

Robb:
    me (98)
    me (NT)
    me (95)
    Nic (98)
    Robb (98)

Nic:
    me (98)
    me (NT)
    me (95)
    Nic (98)

me 95:
    me (98)
    me (NT)
    me (95)
    Nic (98)
    Robb (98)

me NT:
    me (98)
    me (NT)
    me (95)
    Nic (98)
    Robb (98)

me 98:
    me (98)
    me (NT)
    Nic (98)

not that it's important, but my 98 and my nt will never see each other because thay are the same machine - i didn't want to complicate it tho. see how Robb can see us, but we can't see him? ans how my 98 can't see my 95, but my 95 can see my 98? anyone ?

TIA
    sorry about the immesnsely long post.

P.S. we only have one copy of Unreal Tournament - i can't imagine that's why it won't see the network, but is it? We're, uh, only testing the network play and if it's good we'll ALL buy our own individual copy, really!

I'm thinking.... but in the meantime it's not UT since I've seen it work under similar conditions.

- Wisdom

Starting with 198? If that is true, then there's your problem. It's 192.168.x.x
    P3 700e FCPGA @ 966Mhz w/ Alpha PAL35t
    ASUS CUV4X
    ElanVital T-10ab Case
    KingMax PC150 cas2 HSDRAM
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB ATA100
    Asus v7700 Geforce2 GTS 32MB Pure
    SB Live! Value
    ViewSonic PF790 19"
    Klipsch Pro-Media v.2-400
    Netgear FA310TX 100mbps NIC
    MS InteliMouse Epxlorer
    MS Internet Keyboard PRO

Can each computer ping each of the other computers? Do all the computers have the SAME default protocol and SAME workgroup and SAME primary network logon?
    Since you want to use tcp/ip to play UT, if you're using netbeui for the local lan then remove ipx. If you're using tcp/ip for the local lan as well, then remove ipx and netbeui. Essentially remove any protocol that isn't necessary - less chance for configuration conflicts. Besides, each protocol uses system memory/resources.
    Also, from yours or Nic's computer (that don't see Robb) at the start menu, select run and type in \\robb or whatever his computer name is. Can you both connect to him that way or not? Try that for all the computers that aren't seen on the network - if you can see each other this way then check your browse settings - make sure only one computer is the browse server. Since it's only the win98 computers that are having the problem and since win98 picks a computer to maintain the list of servers, I would imagine each of the win98 computers is maintaining it's own list. Make sure only one win98 machine is selected as the browse server.
    Good luck.

thanks all, but i solved both probs in one proverbial felled swoop....

The problem was tcp/ip
    i didn't know you had to have a defaul gateway installed. It still doesn't amke sense that with the other identical protocols and logons and such that some computers couldn't see others but could be seen, but when we reconfig'd tcp/ip it worked. btw - that info i got from the unreal site saying it had to start with a 198, 197 or 196 - it's bs.... we have ours now set at 10.10.
    works great!
    thanks again all!

Thread Information