Hooking up multiple PCs to one cable modem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hooking up multiple PCs to one cable modem

Hooking up multiple PCs to one cable modem

Hiyas!

I need to hook up three PCs to a single cable modem. The way I figure I can do this is:

- Purchase a 10Base hub with 4 RJ-45 ports and an uplink port along with extra IP addresses
    - Hook the cable modem into the uplink port, and put the RJ-45 cables into the ports on the hub.
    - Connect the RJ-45's connected to the hub into the NIC cards of the PCs.

My question has two parts: Will this work, and if so, is it possible for me to get extremely long RJ-45 cables? I'm talking about 35' or possibly more. The standard 15' RJ-45 cables aren't long enough to accomodate my needs. Thanks!

--Fox

I believe you can go up to 100 meters with RJ-45 cabling.

You will need the hub, 2 NICs in your "Server" PC (one which connects to the Cable Modem and one which connects to your internal network) and NICs in all your client PCs.

As well, you will require proxy server software, to allow youe Client PCs to connect to the Cable Modem.

Hope this helps.

Hiyas!

Would a place like Radio Shack have long RJ-45 cables?

Also, you mentioned multiple NIC cards and proxy software. I am merely trying to connect all the PCs to the cable modem for internet connectivity purposes only; I'm not seeking to actually build a "real" network.

Would it be possible to connect them just for connectivity to the cable internet service without building a real network of computers? Thanks!

--Fox

Check out the discussion on April 7/99 in this group (2 PCs & a Modem).

They have pretty well hashed out the requirements for hooking up 2 pc's to a cable modem.

You will either have to set up an internal network or buy supplemental IP adresses from your ISP (@ $6.99 appx per address).

Haven't actually used a cable modem to do this but I currently have an ADSL modem set up like this. Simply install a hub with the modem plugged directly into it. It will work regasrdless of whether you use the uplink port. Install the appropriate protocols necessary to connect as if the modem is connected to your system. Go. The hub is simply a splitter for the cable between the systems and any request to the internet should find the modem as if it were directly connected.

You can get custom cables of any length but you may have to pay to have them made. Might be easier to buy a crimper and learn to do it yourself. Not real complicated but it takes a little practice. 10 base T is good to ~300 feet.

Black Box sells RJ-45 cables in lengths up to 25 feet. Price is $9.95 each. For longer lengths, it's $4.95 + .22 per foot.
    These cables are either straight, or cross pinning. The company has a toll-free for orders...877-877-BBOX. Good luck!!!

Of course, if you go CAT-5, you can get cables up to 100' for between $27.95 and $58.95. Same place. If you make your own, the price drops considerably.

[This message has been edited by Gato_Solo (edited 04-13-99).]
    The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is.............42

To ArcticFox,

i've just got mine setup. it was very simple,
    all u need to do is put a second enthernet card in the computer using the cable modem, and put another enternet card in the client computer (3 network cards in 2 computers), and use a cross-wired networking cable (RJ-45) from one computer to the other, after u have both computers talking/seeing each other. you would have to install software. i recommend wingate or sygate. i'm currently using wingate, u have to wingate on both computers and setup the proxy, such as pop3, ftp, icq, irc, etc.

i'm not sure that it could be done without setting up a network.

hope this piece of info, helped

[This message has been edited by WolfPak (edited 04-13-99).]

[This message has been edited by WolfPak (edited 04-13-99).]

Another simple solution (I know this has been hashed out before but... :-)

Take the cable from the cable company (Should be standard 10BT) and plug it into a hub. Run as many as you want from the hub to the computers. Each computer needs a nic card. However, if you only have 1 IP, then you won't be able to support multiple computers at the same time. That would involve a server with a proxy program

Otherwise, it's a snap! :-)
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Thread Information